In 2007 the Hillsboro Main Library was opened after moving from a much smaller location off of 185th Avenue. The existing concrete and glass building, owned by the City of Hillsboro, has 77,000 square feet on two floors. When the Library opened in 2007, only the first floor was finished with the longer-term strategy to finish the second floor when the demand for additional space increased. Well we are now there, the utilization of the Main Hillsboro Library has reached the level where expansion is greatly needed. The expansion will:
- Add 38,500 square feet of usable space on the second floor
- Triple the amount of seating
- Add a 230 person capacity meeting room
- Add eight small meeting rooms/study spaces and two classroom-sized meeting rooms
- Add one mile of shelving for collection and growth
- Provide gallery space for arts, cultural and educational exhibits
The second floor of the Main Library is an empty shell ready to be filled with people and books. The architects sketches give you a picture of how the library will look. You can keep up with construction updates here.